Monday, December 2, 2013

Bedroom Makeover: The Trunk

I've had this awesome trunk since my freshman year of college. My mom bought it for me as a "Yay! Megan's-moving-out-of-my-house-gift." Okay. Everything I had when I moved away to college was pretty much that type of gift. It was pretty obvious she was a little excited for me to move out and go out of state to college.

Anyway. So I've had this trunk for, um, a long time. And unfortunately it's had to live in my garage for the last couple of years. I love it. I thought it would be perfect to sit at the end of my bed, put a little cushion on it and instant seat! Unfortunately, the colors don't match my room.

I considered painting it cream and then painting the hardware silver. Yay for spray paint!

But then I realized how many cans of cream paint it would take to cover up the black faux leather (vinyl?).

So I decided to make a little slip cover so the trunk is still accessible and I can continue to use it as extra storage.

Let's recall that my sewing skills are very, uh, non-existent. So this little project was going to be a stretch. A simple box shaped slipcover and a cushion. Well, bring it on!

I picked up some beautiful turquoise damask pattern fabric for the cushion and a solid dark turquoise ($3 for 3.75 yards!) as the slipcover.

I don't really know what I'm doing so I won't make a tutorial.

For the slipcover, I measured the trunk, added an inch for a 1/2 inch on each side and then somehow the measurements actually worked out--with a finished seam at the bottom.

It fits perfectly! I really not sure how that happened, but I'll take it. :) Just don't look to close to the corners. I had a bit of a tough time figuring out how to sew them. But it worked out. And the seam matches up on all the sides. It's a miracle! :)

For the cushion, I picked up some foam from Home Depot (MUCH cheaper than a craft store) and then some batting to wrap the foam. I ultimately decided to make the cushion double sided instead of using a wood base. I wasn't sure how to make the batting stay in place without lots of hand sewing and so I grabbed some muslin and created a cover. (A feat unto it's's hard to sew tightly against 3" foam).

Then I started sewing the slipcover, complete with cream piping. And surprisingly it worked! I'm not sure why me sewing is working, it never has in the past, but hey, I'll take it. haha. I hand sewed in snaps to close the side. 

I really love this damask fabric and was excited to be able to use it in my room. :)

Coming soon...bookcases, an epic fail, and bedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.